[aprssig] Beacon or ID without Position?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Jul 29 03:21:22 EDT 2010

  On 7/28/2010 10:13 PM, Adi Linden wrote:
> Is is possible to beacon or ID without position information?

YES   Weather beacons and APRS messages do this all the time.  (Send packets
without position data.)

> The background on this, I have a FM-350 and a VX-8GR. Where I live APRS coverage is far from continuous. So I am often in places where the mobile can reach some distant digi, but the HT cannot. The FTM-350 does not have any digi function built-in. In order for the HT to be able to digi via the mobile I attached a TNC-X/X-Digi to the FTM-350R.
>
> X-Digi is only turned on when the digi function is actually required. It is configured as a WIDE1-1 fill-in. I choose a SSID different from the FTM-350 SSID. I am thinking that having identical SSID could mess up messaging (if I ever get it to work) when X-Digi is turned on.
>
> Is there a requirement for the digi to beacon at all?

Not if it is the same radio in the same location with the same call.   (There's
no problem with the same call in the FTM and in the Xdigi on the same radio.)
       It's just the same as if you had both the local client function and
digipeating enabled in UI-View or other programs.   It's just two different
kinds of transmissions from the same station.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

NEW!    *** HF APRS over PSK63 ***
    http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm

Universal HF/VHF/UHF Antenna Mounting System
   http://wa8lmf.net/mobile/UniversalAntMountSystem.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths