[aprssig] VX8GR

Jason Rausch jason at ke4nyv.com
Mon Jul 26 21:51:20 EDT 2010

Tom,

I picked up a GR at Dayton.  The reason I bought one is I discovered that the GR has a bit more interface to external devices, than the original VX8.  There is a data jack that is a 2.5mm (3/32") stereo jack.  This jack is meant for programming as mentioned already, but it can also interface to an external GPS for external GPS NMEA feed, as well as NMEA $GPWPL output strings to map on the GPS.

Having said, I used the $GPWPL output to my advantage and wrote a simple logging program to grab the strings off of the GR.

http://www.ke4nyv.com/software.htm

Luckily, since the connector pinout is the same as the Kenwood D7 GPS/Data ports, all of the serial cables and Garmin GPS cables that we produce are compatable with the GR.

http://www.rpc-electronics.com/kenwood.php

Jason Rausch - KE4NYV
RPC Electronics, LLC
www.rpc-electronics.com