[aprssig] VX8GR

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Jul 26 21:30:32 EDT 2010

  On 7/26/2010 6:00 PM, Tom Kinahan wrote:
>  I was lucky enough to get out over the weekend and pick up a Yaesu VX8GR,
> which is not only dual band, but includes a built in GPS for APRS use. This
> is not the quad band unit with optional GPS (VX8DR).
>
>  I'd like to compare notes with anyone else that has one.
>
>  It seems to work well, in dual band mode, and  in tracker mode with the
> other VFO doing normal voice at the same time.
>
>  Some questions:
>
> 1) The GPS seems to take about 15-20 minutes to lock in clear sky.  Does
> anyone else see this, or have any suggestions to speed it up?
> 2) Has anyone bought the serial cable (or made one, I think it's straight
> RS232) to access the device? Is there a way to access the TNC only for other
> modes like Winlink (doing KISS)?

The Yaesu APRS radios have (in my opinion) a fatal design flaw/oversight.   The
serial port is only for configuring the radios settings and memories. You do
not have access to the TNC data stream the way you do in the Kenwood
radios.     The only APRS/packet operation you can do with the Yaesus is from
the radio's front panel.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

NEW!    *** HF APRS over PSK63 ***
    http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm

Universal HF/VHF/UHF Antenna Mounting System
   http://wa8lmf.net/mobile/UniversalAntMountSystem.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths