[aprssig] APRS experiment along I-40, mapping vs. voice alert vs. local info

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Jul 16 14:05:08 EDT 2010

Robert Bruninga wrote:

> At 50 cars per minute from the other direction, you pass maybe
> 3000 cars per hour in the opposite lane.  But on your side of
> the road, you can drive for hours and still be within simplex
> range of the same 50 cars that barely changes...

50 cars per minute???!!      That would be almost 1 every second!
That would imply full Interstate speed (60-70 MPH -- 100-120 Kph) in a
crowded urban area (where one almost never is able to get up to that
kind of speed) .   No way!

I make the 2000 mile trek from Los Angeles to central Michigan about
once or twice a year.   Once I get clear of the L.A. metro area and Las
Vegas, I'm lucky if I see FIVE cars/min going the other way (if that)
until I reach the Joliet/Chicago part of I-80.

I agree with one of the other posters that the most successful way of
setting up voice contacts via APRS has been  with text messages sent by
other stations that have seen me on their maps.    I routinely run a
mobile laptop with full mapping display and USABLE text messaging.  Pics
of installation here:

     <http://wa8lmf.net/mobile>

[I have the sound effects in UI-View set up to play the AOL Instant
Messenger chime sound every time an APRS message arrives on my mobile
laptop.]

On the last trip (Early May on the way to MI, and then to Dayton), I
received four or five text messages asking if I could call them on a
local voice repeater.  [These were all FIXED stations that noticed me in
their neighborhood on their APRS maps and got curious about my beacon
comment field "Mobile SSTV LiveCAM". ]

Here in my local area [Greater Los Angeles metro area], I get a message
popping up on my laptop about once or twice a month (again
overwhelmingly from FIXED stations).

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

NEW!    *** HF APRS over PSK63 ***
   http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm

Universal HF/VHF/UHF Antenna Mounting System
  http://wa8lmf.net/mobile/UniversalAntMountSystem.htm

  http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths