[aprssig] Local info works!

Bob Burns W9RXR w9rxr_ at rlburns.net
Tue Jul 13 18:41:23 EDT 2010

Quoting Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu>:

> Same for local info. So many local areas just have not gotten off
> their butts to put out the info.

Bob, I have a positive story about local info to relate:

This past Sunday evening, I drove from southwestern Michigan to my
home near Indianapolis. A large portion of the route was on I-65.

About the time I turned south on I-65, I noticed a repeater object
appear on the screen of my Kenwood TM-D710. The object was for the
146.940 repeater in Kankakee, Illinois. I also noticed a hamfest
object, HFEST-18p, that was located to my southwest.

I used the TUNE feature of the D710 to tune my radio to the 146.940
repeater and put out my callsign. N9IO came back to me and pointed out
that he had noticed my position beacon on his APRS screen before I
keyed up the repeater. We chatted for a few minutes about APRS and the
usefulness of repeater and hamfest objects. The hamfest, by the way,
is coming up this weekend in Peotone, Illinois, near Kankakee.

So, the moral of this story is that APRS provided me with information
about a repeater that was in range of my mobile and provided me with
information about an upcoming hamfest. Either piece of information
would have been hard to obtain while mobile without APRS. Local info
objects work!

Bob...