[aprssig] An amusing aside (Text Pagers)

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Sat Jan 30 16:42:30 EST 2010

I used one of these DTMF devices on my 2nd trip to EU back in the 1990's.
None of the phones had dtmf (all pulse dial) so I couldn't use my calling
card.  On the first trip, I had used my trusty Yaesu HT held near the
telephone to enter DTMFs.

Back on Subject....  Yes, the device I was proposing was exactly one of
those piggy back DTMF generator "critters".  But it it had a way to guide
you through a message or creation of a packet via an LCD display, great.  It
would then squirt out 1200AFSK NRZI data or DTMF. Such a device would be the
sort of thing you'd keep in your go bag.  Yes, I know this defeats the come
as you are use the built in DTMF pad on HTs.  Like I said in last email, the
uber geeks can enter the correct DTMFs from memory or by hand.

The aprs-tt would then either read back the packet to you (ie ai4px at lat
34.xxx 80.xxx icon jogger, status off duty) or a simple "ai4px packet
accepted" in Majel Barret's voice of course.

Back in the 1980's General Instruments made a text to speech chipset that
would speak when ascii words were fed to it.  Is there any comparable chip
available today?  Most things I see are the IVR store and playback chips.

 I tend to think that DTMF would work better since the device in question
would not be hooked to a mic electrically.  If I was going to hook it up
electrically, I'd just use an open tracker or tiny trak in mic-e mode.

I haven't read the APRS-TT page lately, but many repeaters will pass DTMF
tones as long as the first digit is the #.  We need to make sure that
aprs-tt can tolerate the leading #.

Dave VanHorn: very good idea of shortening the dead time between digits.
It's one of those "why didn't I think of that" moments.

Wes
---
God help those who do not help themselves.