[aprssig] An amusing aside (Text Pagers)

Pentti Gronlund pentti.gronlund at tut.fi
Sat Jan 30 10:21:31 EST 2010

Stephen H. Smith writes:

> Perhaps 99% of hams have DTMF in North America.   Not true elsewhere.
> Have you ever looked at the service manuals for Kenwood or Yaesu
> radios?   They usually have a table breakind down the differences in
> models shipped to various parts of the world.  These usually deal with
> differences in frequency coverage (i.e. 144-148 vs 144-146), CTCSS vs
> tone burst repeater access, 2.5 vs 5 KHz FM deviation, etc   Virtually
> all the Japanese radios sold in parts of the world outside North America
> come only with basic mics without tone pads.  (Handhelds may have
> numeric pads to enter frequencies, program the radio, etc but they don't
> generate tones.

This was the way it went in the early 80's. The non-US packages of
mobile radios still don't have a DTMF mike to some extent, but even
many of them do now. I have understood that BoB's idea of APRStt is
mainly intended for travellers and field-day operators, and all hand-
helds sold all over the world since the times of FT-470 or IC-32 that
come with a numeric keypad will also generate DTMF.

> It's very unlikely APRStt would ever take off as a world standard.

This is something that I can easily agree with. It is far easier for
me to put my position on APRS with my GPS-equipped Nokia N95 :) Every-
where.

Benjamin OH3BK
--
		Live Reports from the Taxman's Paradise!