[aprssig] An amusing aside (Text Pagers)

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Thu Jan 28 17:46:10 EST 2010

That's the thing.... Messages do NOT imply an internet connection.  My
friend here in town should be able to send a message to me from his d700 (or
other ).  Yes, certainly it would be really nice to have people 1/2 way
around the world send a message to my pager, but the first priority is
APRS's "come as you are" philosophy.  If we could come up with an algorithm
to convert my callsign to CAP code on the fly then if I showed up in your
town I could get messages.  Of course the falicy of my idea is that with the
pager being RX only, I have no way to notify a POCSAG message converter
station of my presence.  We certainly can't just send all messages that
appear on the APRS IS to POCSAG... we need to only send to stations which
may have a pager.

So we have 2 problems....
1)algorithmically deriving a CAP code from a callsign.  With 21 bits, we
can't even pack 7bit characters tight enough to represent callsigns.  What
if we used some XOR hash scheme?  Or other hashing method?  I'm open to any
idea.

2)Notifying the POCSAG message server that my pager is around.  Perhaps my
APRS station being heard in the area would serve to notify the POCSAG server
that I had a pager?  For example, my TX only tracker sends status packets
which indicate that I'm in the area.  The POCSAG server remembers me for a
few hours and gates any messages addressed to my tracker's callsign to the
pager.  Why not just have the tracker beacon my CAPCODE?  This solves
problem #1.  This concept of TX by tacker on 2m and RX messages on pager
( 2m or 70cm) closes the loop for deaf trackers!  It also works for the
kenwood and yeasu radios.

Wes
---
God help those who do not help themselves.