[aprssig] An amusing aside (Text Pagers)

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Thu Jan 28 13:02:45 EST 2010

Can we reprogram the CAP code to something that is predictable and derived
from our callsigns?  I just checked the numeric pager on my hip and it seems
to have a 9 digit cap code.  What would be nice would be to have a 12 digit
or more cap code.... if so, we could use pairs of digits to represent ascii
codes for our call letters.

A= ascii 65
I = ascii 73
4 = 52
P = 80
X = 88

So my cap code would be 00 65 73 52 80 88.  This is the same trick we use on
TCP mac addresses in the AMPR domain, right?

This sounds to me like we'd need to do this on another frequency away from
the normal aprs ops.  I strongly suspect that it will be far easier to find
70cm pagers than 2m alpha pagers.

Wes

--
Wes