[aprssig] 18 Wheeler APRS pix?

Garrett Sloan Garrett at datplace.com
Wed Jan 27 01:20:12 EST 2010

I don't reply here often, mostly sit on the sidelines and absorb information
and ideas, but felt I'd like to add my $0.02...

I know a fair number of truckers & fleet drivers, and the kilowatt operators
idea I've never seen, I think it's a bad stereotype of the supposed "good
buddies" population which I've never experienced.

I started off at around 14 years old with a radioshack walkie talkie playing
with my friends, ran into a Bunny Hunt (fox hunt) one Saturday night and was
surprisingly found by a group of local CB/Amateur radio operators, I joined
the local radio group, tested and received my amateur radio operator status
a couple of years later, and still drive with both a CB and VHF/UHF radio on
at all times.
Honestly I have never personally run across a professional driver with the
"good ol Boy" attitude, when I have heard it its typically been a 14-16 year
old kid with a new toy CB who disappears quickly.

The amateur radio operators that are also drivers that I know are just that,
amateur radio operators that also happen to be drivers. They don't get into
the cab of their truck, loose 100 iq points, grab the mic and start calling
for anyone out there, most the professional drivers I know or have worked
with are:
A: Tracking phobic, the last thing they want is their company being able to
tell exactly where they are at any given time, to the point that they
sabotage the already vehicle equipped GPS system to hide their location.
B: communication obsessed, and they're some of the best people to talk with
on the radio. They spend all day in their truck travelling cross country and
enjoy a good conversation or contact, the addition of being able to get
local information and updates via APRS would be a welcome benefit to them,
probably more so than to local amateur operators that are familiar with the
area.

I think that bringing anyone with a desire to utilize the technology, and
that can actually make better use of the technology than most into the hobby
can only be a benefit, it can only add to the hobby and amount of
information available to all overall. Yes, there may be a small portion of
users that abuse the technology, but I think it would actually be a smaller
percentage of operators that are also drivers and value communication rather
than being tracked that decide to run deaf trackers than some operators that
only want to be able to go home and see where they've been for the day.

Again just my $0.02...
Garrett
VE6RKY