[aprssig] 18 Wheeler APRS pix?

Bob Poortinga aprssig at k9sql.us
Tue Jan 26 11:16:08 EST 2010

Bob Bruninga WB4APR writes:

> I might be able to get a short article into a Trucker periodical
> for ham truckers...

You should seriously consider the consequences of this before you
submit it.  Do we really want hundreds, if not thousands, of "good
buddies" running APRS?  If history is any indication, there will
result in 18-wheelers running kilowatt APRS stations with beacon rates
of 10 secs and paths of 'WIDE7-7,WIDE7-7'.  I know of a few truckers
who are hams and they run by the rules, but they will be in the
minority if APRS catches on with the majority of regular truckers.
The result will be constant QRM on 144.390 and single digit decode
rates.

I've got my flameproof undies on, so flame away.

73 de
--
Bob Poortinga  K9SQL
Bloomington, IN  US