[aprssig] [APRS] RS-232 GPS, a dying breed. Next steps?

Chris Moulding chrism at crosscountrywireless.net
Sun Jan 24 05:53:19 EST 2010

Hawkins, John W. wrote:

"So I guess my concern is the dearth of *low-cost* display handheld GPSs with RS-232 data out."

I'm looking at making a SirfIII GPS receiver with serial NMEA output. We
use a SirfIII GPS receiver in our Digi Tracker and I've had several
enquiries from users of the Kenwood radios looking for a serial
receiver. Target price would be $70 to 80.

A question to the group...would a 12V powered GPS receiver be OK or
would it need a battery power option?

73,

Chris, G4HYG

Chris Moulding
Cross Country Wireless (2009) Ltd
7 Thirlmere Grove, Bolton, Lancs, BL4 0QB, UK
Tel/fax: +44(0)1204 410626
Mobile:  +44(0)7752 391908
Website: http://www.crosscountrywireless.net
Company number 6780346 registered in England and Wales