[aprssig] Clueless UIview User Transmitting UIview Speech Over-The-Air on 144.39 in SoCal

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Jan 23 23:12:19 EST 2010

[7:30 PM  PST]

A few minutes ago, someone started transmitting UIview synthesized local speech
(the standard reading of incoming calls in G4IDE's voice) over-the-air on
144.39 from somewhere in the greater Los Angeles area, starting about 7:15 or so.

My guess that it is a clueless user trying to use the same sound card for AGWpe
soundcard-based RX, and for local audio announcements/Windows sound effects.
Everytime any local program talks, it is also keying up the send side of a
soundcard interface.   Seems to be voicing calls over a very large area of California
-- I would guess he is using an APRS Internet feed rather than over-the-air RX.

I would also guess it must be a vox-operated inteface like a TigerTronics SignalLink
(or my own homebrew design) since local speech wouldn't normally key the the DTR bit of
a serial port for PTT in a normal serial-port-keyed interface.

At this location (Pasadena about 1 mile north of the 210 freeway), I am hearing
this signal about 3/4 scale on my Kenwood TM-742 using a Comet triband
(6-2-450) collinear ant about 20' above the ground.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

NEW!    Universal HF/VHF/UHF Antenna Mounting System
   http://wa8lmf.net/mobile/UniversalAntMountSystem.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths

Symbols Set for UI-View,
UIpoint and APRSplus: