[aprssig] Replacement for UI-View any one

Amateur Radio WB8NUT duffy at wb8nut.com
Fri Jan 22 08:03:11 EST 2010

I use two APRS programs on Windows - Xastir and AGWTracker. AGWTracker
needs some work and still waiting for features George said he would
implement years ago. If he ever finishes what he said he would do,
AGWTracker could be an excellent replacement for UIView. For instance,
George said he was going to add an interface that would allow all the
existing UIView modules to work with AGWTracker - that would be great
and would bring all the UIView users to his program. But its been years
and still nothing.

So until AGWTracker comes around, I run Xastir under a Xubuntu virtual
machine using the free VMware Player on Windows. It "talks" to AGWPE
with is the engine running under Windows 7 which communicates to all my
TNCs. This is all very easy to set-up, use and run. Also, for those
interested, it lets them have a Linux system to run and learn without
leaving the comfort of Windows.

Xastir has an excellent group of users always ready to help and a very
detailed wiki to help you through setting up Xastir, running on a
virtual machine, etc. Just about everything you need to know is in the
wiki. Absolutely wonderful program.

Duffy
www.wb8nut.com