[aprssig] PUXING UHF Radio

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Thu Jan 21 17:47:56 EST 2010

Greg K7RKT wrote...

> Does anyone have any experience using the Puxing 777 or
> 888 uhf radios as a front end for receiving and decoding 70cm
> APRS data packets? I know ArgentData has the VHF version for
> sale, but I'm looking for a UHF model, preferably from a US source.

I only have experience with the VHF version PX-777+ of which I
have three (from Argent Data) and a PX-888, also VHF. Both leave
a bit to be desired in the transmitted audio, but I think it's a function
of the built-in mic. Audio from a speaker mic is much crisper. The
PX-888 is a nicer radio with a few additional features, as well as
slightly better "fit and finish" and much better programming software.
I have used them both with an OT1+ as well as an ADS-WS1 WX
station, and the ADS-SR1 simplex repeater, all from Argent Data.

I also have several of the dual-band Wouxun KG-UVD1P. It has
the nicest transmit audio while using the built-in mic.

I haven't done any proper sensitivity tests, but all seem to be at
least on par with any Yaesus that I've had side-by-side with them.

Warning... some of the "car adapters" have a weak point. The ones
that I got didn't have anything to stop the cable from sliding in and
out of the strain relief on the cig lighter plug. I managed to break a
wire on one of them inside the plug on one. I know that others that
got the "car adapter" got a version with a short pigtail coming from
the "battery" part of the adapter and a cable with a coaxial plug on
the end plugs into it. The regulator is in the cig lighter plug. I just
examined the Wouxun car adapter and the regulator is in the plug
also. I would prefer it if it was in the "battery" part of the adapter
and if they made it easier to open them up to connect your own
cable, e.g. with Anderson PowerPoles on the end.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH