[aprssig] Fillin digi experiment

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Sun Jan 17 17:18:59 EST 2010

Pentti Gronlund wrote:
> PS. We have been experimenting with these "vicious digipeaters" in
> secrecy for a while, and they work well. You just have to set up the
> digis to avoid transmitting over one another in your whole network :)

Assuming you can control the "whole network".  The concept probably
falls apart when someone drives through with a WIDE1 digi enabled, or
worse, flys over with an airborne WIDE1 digi.  And then there's the time
that someone moved into the area that knew how APRS was supposed to work
but wasn't in the "inner circle" of the local network.

While I might agree that simultaneous transmissions don't work in the
real world, unless all digis are identical installations, I have more
problems with delayed digis.  We've got enough issues showing up in some
areas when KPC-3+/KISS/UI-View combinations decide to start delaying
packets by 2-4 minutes...

I know I can tell the difference in response between a KPC-3+ doing digi
directly vs my TT4/KISS/javAPRSsrvr doing digi.  Even though there's no
purposely introduced delays, the KPC-3+ always gets its transmission out
before javAPRSsrvr turns around on my end.  Then the TT4 waits politely
for the KPC-3+ transmission to end and digis itself anyway.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Just adding my <insert small monetary denomination here>