[aprssig] New Overlay Symbols - Redux

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Sun Jan 3 21:40:19 EST 2010

Bob (WB4APR) or anyone,

Let me change this around a bit.  I've found inconsistencies
between the following two pages:

http://www.aprs.org/symbols/symbolsX.txt (20 Oct 2009)

http://www.aprs.org/symbols/symbols-new.txt (13 Oct 2009)

The former defines the following alternate symbols as having additional
custom overlays (denoted by an O as the Z in the "Other Symbol" column):

\% OFO Power Plant with overlay
\' OHO Crash (& now incident sites)
\) OJO Firenet MEO, MODIS Earth Obs.
\- ONO House (H=HF) (O = Op Present)
\0  A0# CIRCLE (E/I/W=IRLP/Echolink/WIRES)
\8  A8O 802.11 or other network node
\<  NTO ADVISORY (one WX flag)
\=  NUO APRStt Touchtone (DTMF users)
\H  AHO \Haze (& Overlay Hazards
\M  AMO MARS (A=Army,N=Navy,F=AF)
\[  DSO W.Cloud (& humans w Ovrly)
\\  DTO New overlayable GPS symbol
\h  SHO Store. or HAMFST Hh=HAM store
\k  SKO Special Vehicle SUV,ATV,4x4

However, the latter page lists overlays for the following symbols:

POWER PLANT: #%
INCIDENT SITES: #'
APRStt or DTMF or RFID gated users: #A (was BOX symbol)
HUMAN SYMBOL: #[
CARS: #>
HOUSE: #-
NUMBERED CIRCLES: #0
NETWORK NODES: #8
HAZARDS: #H
RESTAURANTS: #R
RADIOS and APRS DEVICES: #Y
GPS devices: #\
ATM Machine or CURRENCY:  #$
ARRL or DIAMOND: #a
CIVIL DEFENSE or TRIANGLE: #c
BUILDINGS: #h
SPECIAL VEHICLES: #k
TRUCKS: #u

The inconsistencies are:

1) There's not expansion for #) or #< or #M, should there be?

2) I'm not sure if DTMF should be #= (former) or #A (latter).

3) \>, \0 (zero), \u should have O, not #, as their Z on the former

4) \$, \R, \Y, \a, \c should all have O as their Z on the former page

I'm trying to at least put the defined text out for the custom overlays,
but with inconsistencies in the specs, I'm not sure what to put out for
which.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ