[aprssig] New Overlay Symbols

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Sun Jan 3 20:55:48 EST 2010

Bob (WB4APR) or anyone,

I'm trying to make sense out of the following two pages:

http://www.aprs.org/symbols/symbolsX.txt (20 Oct 2009)

http://www.aprs.org/symbols/symbols-new.txt (13 Oct 2009)

On the former, the table shows:

/) BJ  Wheelchair (handicapped)  \)  OJO Firenet MEO, MODIS Earth Obs.

Which (OJO) would tell me that the alternate table's #) symbol is where the
custom Firenet definitions would be found.  However, the latter page
doesn't seem to have any definitions for #).

Also, on the latter page, it says:

APRStt or DTMF or RFID gated users: #A (was BOX symbol)
MA = Mobile DTMF user
HA = HT DTMF user
QA = QTH DTMF user
EA = Echolink DTMF report
IA = IRLP DTMF report
RA = RFID report
EA = Event DTMF report
etc

While on the former page, it says:

/A PA  Aid Station               \A  AA# OVERLAYED BOX  (XA=XO laptop)

where the AA# says that there aren't any special overlays for #A (regardless
of the seeming mention of XA which didn't make it into the overlay table
for #A either.

I'm trying to at least put the defined text out for the custom overlays,
but with inconsistencies in the specs, I'm not sure what to put out for
which.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ