[aprssig] APRS Messenger now has APRS over PSK-63

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Sun Feb 28 22:32:12 EST 2010

Stephen H. Smith wrote:
> I assume that once APRS Messenger gains the GPS input and capability
> to send posits, that this will work to put APRS posits on the map in
> any (or all) of these programs.    To make the most of the slow PSK
> transmission rate, I would strongly suggest that APRS Messenger use
> the highly-compressed MIc-E transmission format since it is about
> ONE-THIRD the length of a plain-text APRS posit. The downside is that
> it is not human-readable, although ALL APRS mapping applications can
> decode it.

My only comment on the Mic-E format for APRS Messenger is that part of
the author's intent was to allow users to visually decode incompletely
received or partially garbled transmissions.  Yes, Mic-E will save
transmission time, but will take you back to the entire packet needing
to be received before any sense can be made of the position.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Just my $0.02