[aprssig] New $200 Netbook Appears To Have APRS Potential

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Feb 12 18:55:43 EST 2010

Did I miss any response to this post for EduBook $200 laptop?

Being native Linux, looks like this would be an ideal APRS
mobile platform for XASTIR?
I'd buy one once the XASTIR guru's bless it..

Bob, WB4APR

Smith
> Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 7:17 PM
> To: TAPR APRS Mailing List
> Subject: [aprssig] New $200 Netbook Appears To Have APRS
Potential

> Article posted on Slashdot.org today about a new cheap netbook
that
> appeared at CES.
>
> <http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/10/02/09/2138200/XCores-EduB
> ook-a-Netbook-That-Runs-on-AA-Batteries>
>
> The company's website is:
>
> <http://www.norhtec.com/products/gecko/index.html>
>

> This device reportedly is begins at only $200. More
interestingly it
> runs off 8 standard AA-size NiMH cells rather than some
proprietary
> battery pack -- i.e. it should be able to run directly from
> 12 VDC. They
> claim total power draw of 1.2 watts.
>
> It has a BUILT-IN AC power supply. Only a standard cloverleaf
laptop
> power cord is required with no external brick. It comes
> default with 8
> GB of flash memory but can also accommodate standard 2.5"
laptop hard
> drives. It's supplied with a variant of Ubuntu Linux but is
> capable of
> running Windows XP instead. The device has three external USB
> ports and
> one internal one. There is empty space inside for added
> devices such as
> cellular wireless data cards. You could stuff a USB-interfaced
GPS
> INSIDE the device.
>
> Even it's standard 8 GB flash could easily hold Windows XP,
> and either
> MapPoint/APRSpoint or UIview/Precision Mapping resulting a
device
> functionally similar to an AVmap 5 or nuvi 350 but with a 9"
> screen and
> real keyboard. A USB<-->serial dongle could connect it to a
> Kenwood D700
> or D710 for a complete but compact and cheap mobile APRS
setup.

> Another interesting application: Since it has a sound system
> with mic-in
> and line out, it could be ideal as a dedicated Echolink
> terminal due to
> it's low power drain.
>

> Some specs off the mfr's website:

> ----------
>

> The Gecko Edubook
>
> Accepting orders for August shipments.
>
> The Gecko EduBook is an upgradeable, low power, portable and
cost
> effective laptop. Unlike most inexpensive laptops (often
called net
> books), the Gecko EduBook is designed for tough, long service.
>
> The Gecko EduBook does not have a fan. The Xcore86 CPU used
> in the Gecko
> EduBook is more energy efficient than any other x86 CPU
> running at 1Ghz.
> It can support Microsoft Windows XP. The Xcore86 only uses
> 1.2 watts of
> power. While the Gecko EduBook costs less than most every
other x86
> compatible laptop, the Gecko Edubook features a large, bright
LED
> backlit 8.9 inch screen with a resolution of 1024 x 600.
>

> CPU 1GHz Xcore86 Device on ChipT
> Graphics Integrated Graphics Chip
> Memory 512MB / 1GB DDR2
> Display 8.9" WSVGA 1024 x 600 resolution TFT LCD screen with
LED