[aprssig] 3' snow emergency dumb idea...(response)

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Mon Feb 8 16:04:07 EST 2010

Electricity supply regulations and installation practices obviously vary
considerably from one country to the next. I worked in System Operations
for an electricity supply authority for 21 years and I have both an
electrician's licence and an electrical contractor's licence. I've
worked in the electrical trade since 1963.

DALE BLANCHARD wrote:

> [...]
It happens a significant percentage of the time, especially on HV (over
1kv) circuits.
> Here they treat all circuits as live. If not they are shorted.
Likewise here, all circuits are assumed live unless proven to be
otherwise. Think outside that circle and you're a candidate for a
coffin. The procedure for HV circuits is to test the testing device,
test the line is dead, apply the short circuit(s) (which are earthed as
well), and issue an Access Permit. If you haven't signed on to the
permit you don't work on that site. For LV circuits (240/415v) a
linesman's test lamp is usually all that is used to test dead/alive.
> I also have a suicide cord for my house. I have one master breaker
> that disconnect the house.
> It is then my responsibility.
All mains voltage electrical installations in Australia are covered by
the Standards Association Wiring Rules (AS/NZS 3000 - Australia and New
Zealand have (mostly) common rules), even if supplied by a genset. There
are specific requirements for provision of emergency supply with regard
to changeover devices, method of installation, and isolation from the
reticulated supply.

Suicide cords are illegal, no questions asked. Just owning one is
illegal - if you are caught.

It's professionally interesting to compare installation methods and
standards from other places.

Ray vk2tv

Sent in plain text :-)