[aprssig] 3' snow emergency dumb idea...(response)

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Mon Feb 8 13:21:05 EST 2010

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010, Bob Bruninga  wrote:

>>> that way my 12' male-to-male "emergency power"
>>> cord could connect the two directly...
>>
>> Shame on you!... a totally unsafe practice such as this.
>
> I do not see anything unsafe about it.  Never any exposed electricity.  Any fool can do it.
>
> 1) Turn off main breaker
> 2) Plug in male-to-male into house
> 3) Plug in male-to-male into car inverter
> 4) Turn on inverter switch.

  Just when you think you've made it idiot-proof, they go and breed a
better idiot...

   Simply forgetting step one could be lethal to your neighbor, or the
utility lineman working to fix the problem properly.  That's why such
'cheater cords' are illegal everywhere.

   It's not difficult to do it properly.  My local big-box home store
stocks a generator interlock kit for current-model Square-D breaker panels
for only $38.  That and a hard-wired inlet pigtail with a male twistlock,
and a double-pole breaker will set you back less than $100.  For older
models or other brands, kits are available from interlockkit.com for $150,
which is almost as expensive as an external transfer switch, but much
easier to install.
   An enterprising and talented DIY'er like youself can probably get enough
information from looking at the pictures alone, to roll your own for less
than $10 worth of aluminum.  The most difficult part is finding the
step-shoulder screws to allow easy sliding of the interlock.

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009