[aprssig] 3' snow emergency (generators)

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Feb 8 12:44:06 EST 2010

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> it makes no sense for me to invest in a big backyard noisy generator.
> First because our power only goes out for 1 or 2 days every 5 to 10
> years and second, most such generators never work when you need
> them unless you spend an inordinate amount of maintenance and effort
> and have gas lying around the house to power it.

There's no need for me to echo what others have said about it being
dangerous and illegal to connect a power source as you are doing.
For the safety of the people working for the utility company, instead
of investing in a generator, you could invest in a transfer switch to
make it safe. It is absolutely quiet, except for a "click" that only you
will hear when you throw the switch, It takes up no space in your
backyard, and you don't need to store fuel.

I would find a 1 kW backup power system totally inadequate. When
the power is off here (it happens more often than in your neighborhood)
I prefer to keep the lights, fridge, freezer, TV, satellite receiver, half
a dozen or so computers, an IRLP node and all of my computers running.

Sorry Bob, but you get top marks for ingenuity, but a failing grade for safety.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH