[aprssig] APRS RFID reader?

Jason Rausch jason at ke4nyv.com
Mon Feb 1 16:32:08 EST 2010

I played around with this for a while.  I have several of these units:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8419

They are cheap (~$30), easy to interface and work very well.  Simple 9600 baud RS232 interface.  I had a simple logging program I wrote in VB6 to catch the strings and log them, but I wanted to move forward with a PIC-based interface to feed the strings to a TNC.

The read range is short, but I think that is good for the same RF noise mentioned before.  Just have it at major doorways and have people swipe their card when they come in.

Jason KE4NYV
RPC Electronics, LLC
www.rpc-electronics.com