[aprssig] case sensitivity of NSWE in posit reports

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Dec 29 18:35:16 EST 2010

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> Wow! Thanks for checking. But this goes way way back. Does anyone
> then remember which client or app (that can never be changed) is the
> one that was preventing use of these two flags? I just checked the D700
> and it is OK with lower case, and other than UI-View and the Kenwoods,
> I don't know of any other legacy systems that cannot be changed.

No problem. The test was done using a script that I usually use for generating
APRS objects on a Linux box (actually running an IRLP node) and just needed
a bit of modification to send the objects and position reports with the lower
case nsew in the lat / long. It's really a plagiarized and modified copy of the
IRLP APRS script that I was using for the test. It makes it easy to test something
like this, other than a bit of trial and error and a peek at the APRS spec to get
the syntax correct.

> So what we are talking about here is WHICH clients (if any)
> cannot correctly decode this posit:
>
> !1234.56n/01234.56w-
>
> Where the correct spec TX requirement has been:
>
> !1234.56N/01234.56W-

If anyone wants to run a test but can't generate an object or position report
using lower case n & w (in this hemisphere) just let me know and I could
send one from here. You would have to either use a filter to get it from the
APRS-IS or arrange to gate it to RF so you could see it to see how your
client handled it. Note... it was UI-View32 2.03 that I was viewing the object
and position report in. I don't have any older versions or the 16 bit version
installed.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH