[aprssig] "Best" packet decoder solution

Wes Johnston wes at ai4px.com
Tue Dec 28 09:40:40 EST 2010

Ohhh I get it... you guys are talking about an error dectection system
(checksum) and trying to make it an error recovery system (FEC).  Hmm....
dopplegänger packets anyone?  Two IDENTICAL packets back to back.  At first
blush you get the benefit of a 2nd shot at decoding a packet.  Take it a
step further and you could simply compare the lesser confidence bits from
one packe to the next.  Didn't RTTY do this?  By interleaving the bits?
Here we'd have 100% interleave.

It's *really* a shame that AX25 doesn't support FEC at level 2.  Layer two
only checks CRC.  But woulnd't it be neat if we could sneak FEC into level
1?  I mean, doesn't level 1 do bit stuffing (5 0's in a row) and not pass
that skipped/flipped bit to level 2 upon receipt?  In other words (unless
I'm really off base), level one is not just modulating 1's and 0's onto a
physical medium, it does intelligent things with those bits (bit stuffing),
so why wouldn't level 1 do FEC?  Wouldn't it be slick if we could have a
level one that did FEC for us?  That should/would be compatible (in rx)
automatically with/without FEC?

Of course there'd be no fix for legacy TNCs like kenwoods(tasco), kpc3 and
the like.  But currently supported TNCs like Argent data or Byonics could
include RX either way and a config setting for TX FEC enable.

For the benefit of those who may not know, ax25 was derived from a wire line
protocol x.25 which only allowed source and destination callsigns.  The "A"
was added by "A"mateurs and permitted 7 digipeaters.  I don't think any
thought was given to error correction when it was adapted to radio use.