[aprssig] "Best" packet decoder solution

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Dec 27 18:10:53 EST 2010

On 12/27/2010 12:02 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
> Experimenting with the CD would hopefully get you reproducible results, but
> IMHO the actual performance of a set of TNCs in your "airspace" as it were,
> is really what you need to know if you're trying to choose a TNC.  One thing
> I have learned in my experiences with APRS over RF is that YMMV (Your Mileage
> May Vary) is an absolute truism.

This is what I created the test CD to address!

One of the tracks is a high-quality live off-the-air recording of the Los
Angeles-area afternoon rush-hour mayhem on 144.39 MHz (when the _LOCAL_ APRS
traffic approachs 500% of the Aloha limit!) taken directly from the mini-DIN
discriminator connection of a Yaesu FT-1500.    This includes over- and under-
deviated signals,  pre-emphasized signals from TNC-into-mic-jack setups, and
flat non-preemphasized signals from Kenwood D7xx radios.  (The internal TNC on
Kenwoods goes directly into the TX modulator with NO pre-emphasis) .  The
recording includes numerous packet collisions and idiots running CW ID on their
TNCs(!).     Forty minutes of realtime transmissions have been compressed into
about 20 minutes by editing out all dead air over a half second in the Cool
Edit audio editing program. This non-stop flow of traffic really challenges the
buffer overflow problems of TNCs prone to this issue.

This CD is a normal audio CD with lossless standard PCM CD audio tracks (not a
CD-ROM with lossy phase-damaged MP3 recordings).  Playing this back on a good
audio CD player (or from the earphone jack of a CD-ROM drive) avoids all the
issues of inaccurate and phase-jittery sound card clock rates and cheap noisy
sound card analog audio circuitry.

Played back from a CD player directly into a TNC under test simulates a flat
raw discriminator audio connection to a radio (i.e. connected via the mini-DIN
data jack).   Add a simple RC network between the CD player and the unit under
test, to simulate a de-emphasized  audio-from-speaker-jack  connection.

Another track is a recording of a single Mic-E burst from a Kenwood D700
captured from the low-distortion wideband discriminator of my IFR-1500 service
monitor.  I then copied/pasted this burst 99 times in Cool Edit to create a
track of 100 absolutely identical bursts.  The idea is to use this track to
modulate an RF signal generator.  One would play this track back while
gradually reducing the RF level fed into a radio/TNC combination under test to
determine the decode performance as the signal falls out of full quieting.
(The IF bandwidth and linearity of the FM discriminator varies widely between
radios and has major effects on weak signal TNC performance.)

There are several other tracks, with and without precise pre-emphasis created
in Cool Edit, intended to evaluate the tolerance of TNCs to various levels of
pre-emphasis.

More details on the test CD, and a download link for the image file you can use
to burn a copy of this CD are here on my website:

<http://wa8lmf.net/TNCtest>

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net