[aprssig] "Best" packet decoder solution

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Mon Dec 27 15:00:34 EST 2010

I have seen the KPC-3+/KISS issue discussed several times on multiple
APRS mailing lists, but my best reference is the direct experience of
Richard Sharp (KQ4KX) who maintains the WC4PEM digi/IGate network in
Polk County here in Florida.  WC4PEM is a KPC-3+ running in KISS mode
and if he doesn't reboot the TNC every week or so (sooner if APRS
traffic gets heavy), it begins introducing delayed packets into the
APRS-IS network.  The easiest way to see this is on packets that include
a timestamp.  The packet will appear once via some other IGate and then
again via WC4PEM with a 1-5 minute (yes, it has been up to 5 minutes)
delay.   The problem is only known to exist in KPC-3+, the non-plus and
other Kantronics units do not seem to have the issue.

I have not experimented with the difference between AGW PE vs PEpro.  I
only quoted my experience with PEpro because that's what I run with all
of my testing.  I'm still hoping that the Pro version gets updated to
catch up with the free version because I need to be able to specify a
split input and output sound card channels complements of the
differences in the way Windows 7 handles my audio devices now that I've
added a Signalink USB.

The Pro version's KAM tone support works really well for me as I'm
running it on 30m HF side-by-side with APRS Messenger (2100hz) with both
of them running through an instance of my APRSIS32 for map visualization
and Igate functions.