[aprssig] "Best" packet decoder solution

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Mon Dec 27 11:44:12 EST 2010

Note that the one that is missing there is the KPC-3+ which, according
to what I've read, fails miserably if the signal is flat on the air (not
pre-emphasized) but de-emphasized on the receiving end before being fed
to the KPC-3.  The KPC-3 apparently doesn't like the low tone being
louder than the high tone resulting in a lack of decoding.

Some have recommended that the audio interface for the KPC-3 be set up
so the transmit audio (KPC to radio) goes through the pre-emphasis
circuit, but the received audio (radio to KPC) be pulled directly from
the discriminator and before the de-emphasis (meaning, don't pull it
from the speaker output).  This would mean that "correct" on-the-air
packets (pre-emphasized, with highs louder than lows) would be decoded
ok as would non-emphasized (both tones equal) packets.

I have a KPC-3+ here, but I haven't yet hooked it up to anything for
comparison to the TNCs listed in my previous e-mail.  I haven't made
time for this because apparently the KPC-3+ also has trouble when
operated long term in KISS mode which is my preferred TNC interface.