[aprssig] "Best" packet decoder solution

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Mon Dec 27 11:02:09 EST 2010

By "decode APRS data packets" to you mean decode the ASCII text of a
packet and glean all useful information from it?

Or do you mean decode an APRS packet received over-the-air?  Is that
1200 baud AX.25 on 2m?  9600 baud AX.25 on 2m or 70cm?  300 baud AX.25
on HF (30m for instance)?  PSK-63 or GMSK-250 or some-such as done by
APRS Messenger?

And are you referring to decoding a 100% purely transmitted packet with
perfect deviation and twist (deviation difference between high and low
tones caused by pre/de-emphasis over the typical audio path) or actual
packets transmitted by arbitrary stations anywhere on the planet?

There's way too many variables to give you a simple answer to such a
general questoin.