[aprssig] Kenwood's DX List

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Sat Dec 18 07:31:34 EST 2010

I've recently learned that the Kenwood APRS radios have something called
a "DX" list.  Does anyone know what the packet format is to put
something in this special list?  Is it simply a symbol of /% (DX
Cluster) or \d (DX Spot) or both?  Is there anything out there that
actually generates such packets and what are the guidelines around such
packets?

PS.  I did see "DX CLUSTER Live last two hours worth of DX spots plus
information on DX." on http://www.aprs.org/, but the link to
http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/dxspots.html doesn't work any more.

PPS.  http://aprs.org/astars.html talks about satellite schedules
showing up in the DX-LIST and/or DX-SPOT, but again, nothing definitive
about the packet format to put stuff there.

PPPS. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ajmckinnon/aprs.htm mentions "A
modification of this is a "DX query", which again sends a different
ASCII code to which the other system replies with information of the
best DX in its current station list, ignoring stations heard via
digipeaters.", but still no details.  If you're going to go so far as to
say "different ASCII code", why not just say it's a "?APRSxxxx" and
provide the detail?