[aprssig] River Gauging APRS setup

Frank or Barbara Rossi n3flr at bellatlantic.net
Fri Dec 17 21:53:56 EST 2010

It is a great Web Interface.
Here is Pa. Click <http://waterwatch.usgs.gov/?m=real&w=gmap&regions=pa>
Already well covered by the USGS.
It may be more a matter of the USGS not talking to the NWS if there not
getting enough data from this interface.

In Pittsburgh the Hydrologist at the Pittsburgh NWS do a pretty good job
estimating when there will be any flooding.
His tools are the automated river gauges, and rain gauges reports from
Skywarn Hams .

I think around Pittsburgh Pa area, APRS Weather Stations with rain
gauges would be more useful.
Hams are not always available to give rain gauge reports, APRS Weather
station would be 24/7.
In the summer, hit and miss Thunderstorms can dump 2 inches of rain in
one area, with other areas with no rain.

In Western Pa, ALL rain runoff ends up in the Ohio River, downtown
Pittsburgh.
Major river flooding usually happens the day after the rain comes.
Small creeks and streams are the ones that will flood first, day of the
rain.
Lots of hills around Pittsburgh. From 3,200 Ft Mt Davis to 680 ft in
altitude Pittsburgh in less than 50 miles.
Water goes down hill.
N3FLR - Frank