[aprssig] [opentracker] OpenTracker USB released

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Wed Dec 15 23:53:44 EST 2010

It's on my bench now - just an eval board and a few thousand lines of
code so far, but a first attempt at a board layout is in the works.
Anything like a functioning beta version is at least 6 months out.

512 KB flash, 576 KB SRAM, minimum 4 MB serial flash, USB host/device
support, SD/MMC slot... it's going to be a lot less confining system to
program for! =]  Also, with a 24 MHz 8-bit MCU already nearly matching
an MX614 for decode performance, I'm really looking forward to seeing
what I can do at 76 MIPS with a 32-bit MCU that's got some DSP instructions.

WiFi isn't in the works immediately.  I'm trying to design the board
with expansion modules in mind, though.  Until then, you'd have to use a
WiFi bridge.

It won't be quite as miserly with power as the T2, of course.  I think
the Ethernet section alone draws something like 500 mA @ 3.3v.

POE would be nice, but also might have to wait.  Power distribution will
already be much more complicated than the T2, with more voltages and
higher currents, and considerations like having to be able to shut down
some peripherals when in USB bus-powered mode.

Scott
N1VG