[aprssig] [opentracker] OpenTracker USB released

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Wed Dec 15 23:16:17 EST 2010

The OT1+ has never had particularly strong RX capability.  It was
something I managed to add on when I upgraded from the old KX8 processor.

When I have time, I'm going to see if the OTUSB's demodulator can be
back-ported to the OT1+.  It's going to be a bit of a stretch, though -
the OTUSB is clocked 3.25 times faster than the OT1+.

I've been getting results of over 930 packets decoded on the WA8LMF test
track, compared to about 960 for the MX614-based OT2m and under 900 for
most TNC2 clones.  The biggest limitation is dynamic range, since it's
using mostly 8-bit math.  You have to make sure the audio level is
adjusted properly, but there's a display in the diagnostic screen for
that.  I'm going to add a simple AGC function later on - that helped
with the DTMF decoding on the ADS-SR1.  Incidentally, that runs on a
slightly slower version of the same processor, so at some point I'll
probably port the DTMF code over and use it for some non-APRS stuff with
the OTUSB hardware.

The new MCU also has more RAM available, and part of that's going to go
to KISS buffering.

I'm really looking forward to doing a few more specialized board layouts
based on the OTUSB.  Aside from the voltage regulator there's just one
44-pin IC that does everything, USB interface included.  Some of the
software work was a major pain - getting it to load firmware over the
USB port when a good chunk of that firmware is the USB stack itself, for
example - but it does make the hardware side easier.

Scott
N1VG