[aprssig] OpenTracker USB released

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Wed Dec 15 17:01:24 EST 2010

I'm pleased to announce that the new OpenTracker USB is now shipping!

https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=148
http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/OpenTracker_USB

The new tracker is basically a Tracker2 without the digipeater and
Garmin protocol functions, but with a full-speed USB port that can be
used for configuration, command prompt access, and KISS mode,
independent of the two regular serial ports.

This means you get remote control capability, a TNC2-style command
prompt, scripting, weather station support, KISS mode, and the ability
to do all of this simultaneously without reloading the firmware.

There's also space inside for a GT-525 GPS receiver module, and we'll be
offering that with the appropriate jumper a little later as an option.

Demodulation is software-based, and significantly improved over the
OpenTracker+ - in our testing, it's been very close to MX614-based TNCs
in decode performance.

Because of the surface mount construction we won't be offering this one
as a kit.  We'll still be offering the OpenTracker+ as a kit as long as
we're able to get the parts, but the assembled version will be phased
out in favor of the new design.

USB support has been tested with Windows 2000/XP, Mac OS X, and Linux.
We'll be adding INF files for Vista and Windows 7 shortly, but it shows
up as a generic USB CDC device so drivers are included with the
operating system.

Documentation is still sparse, but the wiki has the critical
information.  Nearly all of the information in the Tracker2 manual
applies, with the exception of the digipeater and Garmin sections.  The
OTUSB manual should be published by this weekend.

We've got units ready to ship now, and more on the way, so there's still
time to put it on your Christmas list!

73,

Scott
N1VG