[aprssig] Connecticut (NY and NJ) Trip report

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Dec 13 17:51:01 EST 2010

Trip Report: Connecticut:

1) There is a permanent voice alert WX station AND Digi that I
hear every 5 to 10 minutes from NNJ through NYC and on into CT
along I-95 that drives me nuts for nearly an hour on every trip.
No one there.  No one every answers my Voice Alert calls.  It
could be the WX1CT WX station, but I don't know what is the
digi, but you can hear the double BANG/BANG packet every time...

2) I saw this one that I cannot understand:
KB1IFX-3>T1PS1R,KA2RLM-15,WIDE1,N3XKU-15*,WIDE2,qAR,KA1UDX-1:
'e<1l #/]RED CROSS STAMFORD,CT [Freq MHz]=

It is a kenwood D710, but I do not understand how it is putting
the "[Freq MHz]" in the packet at the end.  That is supposed to
be inserted at the start of the status text when STATUS#5 is
used.  Is this D710 weird?  Or was this a manually enetered
mistake?

3) In central New Jersey I was pleased to join a wide area
linked repeater net in progress.  It was not showing up as an
object on my radio front panel, but the one APRS person on the
net was aware of how that is supposed to operate.  Of interest
is that most people on the net were using some kind of Internet
CHAT capability.  Again, why not tie this into APRS so that us
mobiles can also participate in the chat with our APRS radios???
See aprs.org/aprs-messaging.html

Is this yet another vertical ham radio live chat system that
does not cross connect to APRS or any of the other live chat
systems in use by mobiles?  And then there are the ATV groups
that do the same thing on a different voice and video
conferencing system.

Bob, WB4aPR