[aprssig] WiFi APRS traveler

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Dec 13 12:46:17 EST 2010

Gregg W5GGW wrote...

> My cell modem comes out onto the internet in Dallas Texas. When I
> am on the  road with it, largely NOT in Texas, it is very confusing to
> push the "where am I" button on my wifi iPad and have it tell me
> "Texas" and not anywhere close to where I actually am.

The iPhone 4 has an actual GPS chip. My understanding is that the
iPad with Wi-Fi finds your location using known Wi-Fi hotspots, but
the Wi-Fi + 3G models use Wi-Fi, GPS, and cellular towers. You
still get all the nice maps in the Wi-Fi model. You just don't know
exactly where you are.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH