[aprssig] Low power APRS digi that allows additional data

Andre v Schaijk aprs at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Sun Dec 12 06:44:56 EST 2010

Op 12-12-2010 2:15, Dale Mosby schreef:
> I help maintain a solar powered repeater in the Oregon coast range. This
> has 4 decent sized solar panels, 2 meter repeater and link radio to
> another repeater. Power is a concern as it is quite cloudy in the
> winter.
>
> I would like to put an APRS digipeater at the site. I have a crystal
> controlled 2 meter HT that I can use for the APRS radio. This one was
> chosen due to the low power draw. Intent is to fill in some APRS and
> also get data down from the site.
>
> I would like recommendations on a low power device to serve as the APRS
> digipeater. In addition to supporting APRS I would like to be able to
> send data out. Plan would be to use something like the Atmel AVR
> microprocessor to monitor some site data (light intensity, xmit on time,
> temp) and send that out periodically. Later I'll add some more weather
> data as time allows.
>
> I know the APRS spec as provision to send arbitrary data. What is
> somewhat unclear is if there is an off the shelf APRS digi unit that
> will allow a properly formatted input stream to be input from some other
> microprocessor tacked on.
>
> Any pointers or hardware suggestions appreciated.
>
> 73, Dale, K7FW

I would sugest going for an openwrt or nslu2 capable network storage
device, these can run digined this gives you the all the flexabilety,
telemetry and news anouncement options could wish for, just hook up some
usb tncs like the tnc-x and you can suport mic-e trackers on the
repeaters as wel.

73, Andre PE1RDW