[aprssig] Low power APRS digi that allows additional data

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Dec 11 21:38:13 EST 2010

Dale, K7FW wrote...

> I help maintain a solar powered repeater in the Oregon coast range...
> I would like to put an APRS digipeater at the site...

You would have to find another use for the crystal controlled radio that
you have, but take a look at the T2-301 from Argent Data Systems. It is
functionally an OT2m built into a 5W transceiver, but it can be cranked
up to about 9W. If memory serves me, the draw is about 50 mA.

www.argentdata.com

> In addition to supporting APRS I would like to be able to send data out.
> Plan would be to use something like the Atmel AVR microprocessor to
> monitor some site data (light intensity, xmit on time, temp) and send that
> out periodically. Later I'll add some more weather data as time allows.

The T2-301 (like an OT2m) has two serial ports, plus a "one wire" input.
It can beacon temperature and voltage without any additional hardware. I'm
sure you wouldn't have any trouble connecting the Atmel AVR micro for
additional monitoring.

The ADS-WS1, also from Argent Data, is a complete WX station. Just add
a radio. It is capable of supplying current for the radio, so the radio is only
powered when it is actually transmitting. However, you might want to connect
some other type of WX station to the T2-301 instead.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH