[aprssig] The future of AVRS

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Dec 5 21:36:18 EST 2010

Auatomatic Voice Relay System: AVRS

The major initiative that has been driving just about everythig
new in APRS since the 2001 time frame has been making sure that
APRS can support the signalling and information system needed so
that hams can TEXT or VOICE to any other ham anywhere at any
time using any device and any VOIP system knowing only a
callsign.

The TEXT version of Universal hamradio Text Messaging is covered
on my www.aprs.org/aprs-messaging.html and a Sep 09 QST article.

But the VOICE version, called Automatic Voice Relay System is
on:
www.aprs.org/avrs.html

When I was at the HRO Grand-Reopening in Atlanta I got to talk
with some D-STAR folks, and D-STAR is another part of this
global AVRS initiative.  D-Star can already connect voice using
call-to-call addressing.  Echolink, IRLP and WIRES can do it
also using APRS as the callsign, and node locator.

We have been working on this for now a decade and are making
progress.  In addition to D-star, the other key elements have
been:

1) Encouraging all DIGI owners to have local FREQ objects
2) This includes Echolink, IRLP and WIRES objects
3) The auto QSY TUNE button on the TM-D710 radio
4) The auto QSY button on the Yaesu FTM-350 radio
5) The auto QSY/TUNE button on the TH-D72 HT
6) Client implementation of ITEM-IN-MESSAGE (APRSISCE)
7) APRS radio receipt and display of ITEM-IN-MESSAGE

The last two allows the AVRS engine that sets up the voice link
to analog users to send back a FREQUENCY OBJECT to the CALLER
and the CALLEE showing them their local IRLP, Echolink or VOIP
node to use to complete the call.  Eventually, when future APRS
radio versions receive this QSY packet, they will automatically
go to the VOICE channel to complete the voice call which was
initiated on APRS by simply sending a voice-link-request message
to "AVRS" containing the CALLEE callsign.

There are still lots more little interfaces and gateways that
are needed to conect everything together.  For example, a D-STAR
user could establish or receive an Echolink or IRLP voice link
if someone simply wrote the gateway interface.  APRS then
extends this to the moble analog user via the APRS object and
FREQ QSY system to get him on the right RF frequency.

Anyway, after 9 years, the hardware and mechanisms are now in
place.  We just have to get all the smart programmers and egos
in the same room and get them cross connected.

Bob, Wb4APR