[aprssig] FW: Tuning a TNC

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Aug 24 14:59:48 EDT 2010

  Some further observations on the WaveTool utilities.

1)    These are actually 16-bit  Windows 3.1 programs, but they work well on
32-bit Windows 2000 and Windows XP systems.    They will NOT work on Windows
Vista or Windows 7, since the 16-bit compatibility layer (a.k.a. the "thunker")
that has existed in 32-bit Windows since Win 95 was quietly dropped in Vista
and beyond.

Note that this breaks many older supposedly 32-bit programs.  Many early
Win95/Win98  "32-bit" programs contained chunks of 16-bit code (especially
device drivers) recycled from their 16-bit Windows 3.1  predecessors.  Such
programs depend on the thunker to seemlessly run the mix of 16- and 32-bit code.

2)     Windows XP allows multiple applications to access the sound card
simultaneously.   The WaveTool scope or spectrum analyzer can run AT THE SAME
TIME as the AGW Packet Engine, APRS Messenger, mmSSTV, MixW or other other
sound card app for a REAL TIME display of the incoming signals being fed into
these apps.

3)     The WaveTool scope in dual-trace mode can do the tricks "real" scopes do
of displaying A-only, B-only A and B, A-B, A+B and A vs B vector displays.