[aprssig] Snow and Visibility on APRS

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Aug 19 20:39:35 EDT 2010

In my world, we do NOT have an "It's raining now" sensor. Nice idea, but
a lot of the "real" meteorological instrumentation is based on
techniques and procedures from long ago. The concept of hourly
measurements, and occasional higher frequency measurements, via SPECI
observations is how we get finer temporal granularity.

Newer instruments, however, can provide higher frequency measurements.
The problem is, at what rate do you sample these things? And, some
instruments, like Vaisala's "Weather Transmitter" (WXT-510/520) do
provide rate information.

Generally, in METARs, the instrumentation can provide when the first
bucket tip occurred, but it's back-stopped by the certified weather
observer (or tower controller) looking out the window.

Officially, a light, misting rain, with less than 0.01 inch accumulation
would be recorded as "trace" precipitation and wouldn't qualify as rain.

gerry n5jxs
CWOP servers