[aprssig] APRS-IS authentication

Bill V WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 12:47:26 EDT 2010

>  the access
>> barrier consists of a warning dialog at the first program start, stating
>> that it is probably illegal to use without a license, and the
>> requirement to figure out the APRS-IS passcode.
>
> It is exactly that "huge audience" that prompted this thread to start with.

There is nothing illegal about non hams putting traffic on the
APRS-IS.  Bob B would probably argue that all hams, on the radio or
not, should be there for universal messaging.  I would argue that it's
the Radio that makes Amateur Radio special and we would probably be
better off if the APRS-IS was read-only for web and non-RF access.

73
Bill - WA7NWP