[aprssig] New experimental GMSK version of APRS Messenger

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Aug 18 20:07:01 EDT 2010

  On 8/18/2010 4:53 PM, Bill V WA7NWP wrote:
>> I've just released an experimental version 2.71 of APRS Messenger.
>>
>> It now has HF APRS over PSK-31, PSK-64, PSK-125, PSK-250, GMSK-31, GMSK-63,
>> GMSK-125 and GMSK-250 using the MMVARI sound card engine.
> Getting close to installing APRS Messenger - maybe tonight.

Details on setup and use here:

<http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm>

> Next questions...
>
> Can the 'packets' generated by APRS Messenger be displayed with
> another PSK-64 application such as DM780 or FLdigi?

Yes, but you will also see "gibberish" packet checksums tacked onto each
transmission.

> Could somebody using one of those 'other' applications manually
> generate packets for APRS-Messenger?

No sort of...     APRS Messenger attaches packet-style checksums to the
payload.  This allows Messenger at the receiving end to decide whether the
incoming packet was received correctly, in order to pass the received packet to
the Internet or an external IP-capable APRS client like APRSpoint or UI-View.

  "Mangled" or incomplete packets without checksums WILL appear in the local
display (just as you see "garbage" and faded text in any PSK app), but they
will not alarm the incoming message indicator, or pass to external apps.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

=====  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping =====