[aprssig] Maps

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Aug 15 20:30:36 EDT 2010

  On 8/15/2010 4:44 PM, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

> Microsoft offers something (I think they call it "windows xp
> compatibility mode") that is effectively a VirtualPC virtual machine
> with XP pre-loaded.  This will get you an XP computer without the
> rebuild trauma Stephen describes.
>
> -Jason
> kg4wsv
>
> _

1)      You now suffer a massive performance hit since you are now running a
virtual machine with all it's inherent overhead, on top of the
performance-challenged Vista or Win 7.

2)      This is only available with the Pro or Ultimate versions of Win 7.
For lesser versions of Win 7, you will have to download and install the "MS
Virtual PC 2007" which creates a new virtual PC with a blank hard disk (like
you built a PC from scratch with a virgin hard disk), and then install XP from
a normal CD.