[aprssig] Maps

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Aug 15 19:14:43 EDT 2010

  On 8/15/2010 2:44 PM, Earl Needham wrote:
> Darn  This is not good!  What other options do I have for maps where I can
> zoom & scroll?
>
> Thanks,
> Earl

NONE    (unless you want to be tethered to the Internet with the PA7RHM
MapServer plugin.)

   ------or--------

Run MapPoint externally, and link it to UI-View with the UI-Point "middle-ware"
UI-View plug-in.  However this has severely reduced functionality compared to
the internal UI-View displays, and no support for overlay characters on APRS
symbols.

   ------or--------

Reformat hard disk

Install Windows XP

Chase down XP versions of drivers for what ever hardware (video display, sound
system, ethernet interface chip, WiFi, motherboard/IDE HDD interfaces, etc)
that XP failed to identify.  I.e. "The Great Driver Hunt" on the Internet!

Install UI-Vew, Precision Mapping and PMap Server 7

Enjoy a system that runs 2-3 times faster than the same system with Vista or
Win 7.

===================

I just spent three days "upgrading" a new Toshiba C655 laptop from Win 7-64  to
XP SP3.

This machine with a 15" W-SVGA screen, 2 GB of RAM, 250 GB HDD and a 1.8 GHz
Celeron (i.e. single-core) CPU currently sells at Best Buy for USD $350.    You
can think of this machine as a "netbook on steroids" - lightweight but with a
full-size keyboard, double-layer DVD-RW drive, but only 2 USB ports, no modem
and no PS/2 ports to steal power for a GPS.  Note that it uses a "real" Celeron
rather than the much lower powered "Atom" CPU used in most netbooks.

Freed of the sludge of the OEM Win 7 (64-bit edition no less!) it really
screams and runs MapPoint, Precision Mapping, Delorme TopoUSA and UI-View very
nicely.    After taking three days to do the first one, I have cloned the
installation into two more. It only about 20 mins each, using Acronis
True-Image to back the setup of the first one onto an external USB hard drive,
and then restore it to each the others.

The initial setup and backup/restore process was somewhat messier than previous
projects I have done, since this machine uses a new-style ESCD hard disk
interface with EFI.  Extensible Firmware Interface does away with much of the
classic motherboard BIOS configuration of the HDD.  (Basically, a much larger
boot loader on the hard disk running natively in 32-bit code replaces the
traditional 16-bit IDE hard disk boot  code in a "classic" BIOS.) However, I
discovered that the remaining BIOS options did include a choice for IDE
compatibility mode that let me do an XP install.