[aprssig] Why do routes go very wrong?

Brian Webster bwebster at wirelessmapping.com
Fri Aug 13 08:49:49 EDT 2010

I think it is because the message routing will take the APRS-IS packets back
through the last I-Gate your most recent packet had been heard through. To
check this set your remote station to not have any path so that only your
home station is the last one to hear it. What is probably happening is the
path you use it getting digi'ed to another node and then being heard by
another I-gate right after your home station hears it. Meaning the remote
station is the last one to hear your packet. This makes sense because of the
time delay it takes for the multiple hops.

If your remote station is not a mobile one, you could set the path of that
station to use the actual call sign of the digi and/or home rather than the
generic wide calls to route your packets specifically where you want them to
go. This however would break if any one of those digis is not on the air.

Brian N2KGC