[aprssig] SKY1 - callsign?

Al Wolfe awolfe at Route24.net
Wed Aug 11 09:21:29 EDT 2010

    As a pilot I think that a ham using APRS in a plane is a useful tool,
perhaps a last ditch backup to the other navaids. However, it seems that
most of these folks include the abusive path of Wide1-n in their string.
This path should never be used aloft. Is this the default of some of the new
APRS-ready HTs? I saw dozens of planes leaving Oshkosh last week with
Wide1-1 in their path. A lot of these folks did have a callsign in there
report. And many had a KJ4 prefix which tells me they are relatively new
hams.

Al, K9SI