[aprssig] APRS-IS Passcode Generator On-Line

Matti Aarnio oh2mqk at sral.fi
Mon Aug 9 17:01:29 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 12:25:13PM -0700, Stephen H. Smith wrote:

>  Further, I have now noticed that if you Google for either "APRS
> password"  or "APRS passcode" , this site is the very first hit.

Dear OM,

  Are you trying to tell that the "secret handshake" that has been quite
public knowledge since mid 1990es should be made secret again, and such
pass-code generators are to be eradicated from the internet?

If the intention were to have a real secret and _secure_ pass-code,
it could use Digest-MD5 algorithm, or something of its like where
"shared user secret" ( = "password" ) is not stored in plaintext
in the database, nor is it recoverable.   But the APRS-IS is really
not worth the secure identity federation technology, or even a storage
of secure passwords.

For that matter,  my  Aprx  does NOT have a way to enter the passcode
in the configuration.  It calculates the correct code internally, and
authenticates with it to APRS-IS.  You just give it the "mycall" parameter.
Just one thing less to get wrong.

Of course unlicensed users will hop in when such is possible.
Are they doing it so much that it really is trouble?  Some trucks in
USA abusing APRS every now and then, but they are on RF, not with
APRS-IS connection.

Would a requirement of authenticating with LotW user certificate
to APRS-IS guarantee the iGate to be fully licensed in any way?

Lets not get deep into the question of identity proofs..  APRS is a
ham-radio hobby, and we tend to trust when somebody says he is WA8LMF.
We trust that without running whole plethora of background checks.
If the name (or callsign) is well known, we probably will not do any
checks of the identity at all.

  73 de Matti Aarnio, OH2MQK