[aprssig] APRX aprs-is filtering

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Aug 7 22:36:06 EDT 2010

  On 8/7/2010 5:54 PM, Bob Bruninga wrote:

> Yes, "recently-heard" still applies...  Today, for example, I am in Utah at a conference with my WB4APR-7 HT.  I drove to the airport in my WB4APR-9 and my home station or work station are also on the air.  I expect a message sent to ANY of my WB4APR stations (if seen by an Igate near me) to send it out to RF including my HT in UTAH.  I use "expect" in the future sense, because as we are learning, this is not presently the case).
>
> I DO agree with the need for an option (defaults to ON) so that someone can turn off the delivery of messages to some SSID's.. though that adds even more complexity..

I would propose that this be implemented in a manner similar to call forwarding
on phone numbers, or auto-forwarding between email accounts.     "OFF" unless
explicitly set, perhaps by a message to the APRS server, similar to what is
sent to select port 14580 filters or the CQSVR.    Perhaps an auto-expire of 24
or 48 hours or so, so that forwarding set for a short out-of-area trip will
cancel itself if forgotten.

On the other hand, is all this complexity worth it???     How often have you
had an urgent message sent to an APRS address that would actually matter, if
you missed it due to being away from a particular SSID?

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

NEW!    *** HF APRS over PSK63 ***
    http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm

Universal HF/VHF/UHF Antenna Mounting System
   http://wa8lmf.net/mobile/UniversalAntMountSystem.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths